NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) defines professional development as initial preparation (preservice) and learning experiences (in-service) designed to improve the knowledge, skills and behaviors, and attitudes/values of the early childhood workforce. The ELC of Marion County provides opportunities to attend a variety of high-quality training opportunities throughout the year.
Office of Early Learning Professional Development:
- Florida Early Care and Education Professional Development System
- Expulsion, Suspension and Dismissal Training – Part 1
- Expulsion, Suspension and Dismissal Training – Part 2
Department of Education Professional Development Opportunities
Early Childhood Math Training
Preschoolers are natural mathematicians! They stack blocks, sort materials at clean-up time and make many comparisons throughout the day. Math instruction for early learners is not about memorizing a set of rules and concepts. Young children must have various opportunities to make sense of their world, form logical connections, and discuss their thoughts and findings. To accomplish this task, early childhood professionals must have a firm grasp on early mathematical concepts and how to present them in meaningful and
developmentally appropriate ways.
With this in mind, the Office of Early Learning has developed an online course and four interactive, instructor-led modules that focus on these critical skills.
Mathematical Thinking for Early Learners (online)
Five-hour online training, 0.5 CEUs
Cost is $10.00
Early Mathematics for Early Learners: (Four instructor-led modules)
These three-hour modules are offered free of charge and 0.3 CEUs will be awarded upon successful completion of each training.
- Making Sense of Sets and Numbers, July 12, 2018, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Course Reference Number 8171
- Counting and Operating with Numbers, July 26, 2018, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Course Reference Number 8172
- Patterns, Measurement, and Data, August 9, 2018, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Course Reference Number 8173
- Shapes and Spatial Relationships, August 23, 2018, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Course Reference Number 8174
To register for the above classes, click here to be transferred to the DCF Child Care Training System.
Professional Development Reimbursement
Marion County early childhood professionals are able to request reimbursement of registration fees up to $300 per fiscal year for attendance and/or satisfactory completion of professional development opportunities. Click here to see the full professional development reimbursement policy.
If you have any questions regarding training classes or other professional development opportunities, please contact us.
Register and Pay for ELCMC Sponsored Training Classes: